Choosing the Right Camera Batteries
The camera battery has evolved, and more is involved now than picking up a pack of AAs at the drugstore. Many cameras use specific batteries that can only be found at camera or computer stores.
Proprietary vs. Common Batteries-
Most cameras now require a certain style of battery for a particular camera. Battery styles vary by both manufacturer and camera model.
Search for "Nikon battery" or "Canon battery" on the internet, and you'll find many different shapes of batteries even within that manufacturer's product line. Some types are for point-and-shoot cameras, while others are for DSLR cameras.
- Fortunately, most DSLR cameras by one manufacturer use the same style of battery. This equivalence is convenient when you upgrade camera bodies because you can often use the same batteries in your new camera that you did in the old camera.
A few cameras, mostly point-in-shoot models, continue to use common battery sizes such as AAA or AA.
- Some DSLR cameras can be fitted with a vertical grip accessory that holds two of the brand's proprietary batteries and can also be adapted to fit the common battery sizes. Check your camera body's accessory list to see if this retrofitting is possible.
Rechargeable AAs and AAAs-
For cameras that use AA or AAA batteries, rely on the rechargeable version. Although you can use disposables, the power draw is such that using disposables exclusively can be costly if you make regular use of your camera.
Nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries are more efficient than the older nickel-cadmium (NiCd or NiCad) batteries. NiMH batteries are more than twice as powerful, and they have no memory effect, which reduces the maximum capacity of future charges if you recharge a NiCd battery before it's fully discharged.
Carry disposable lithium AAs as a backup to your rechargeable batteries. They are more expensive, but they hold three times the charge and weigh about half as much as standard alkaline AA batteries.
Latest news & updates
- What is malware and what can i do
- What is a registry key
- Incredible Variety of Capacitors
- Choosing the Right Camera Batteries